[FoRK] Facebook. HATE SO MUCH

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jun 1 17:51:51 PDT 2012

Saw this earlier.  Pretty brazen interpretation of intent and reuse of content.  I tend to think that both Facebook and the
advertiser would be liable for commercial use fees, perhaps even in spite of contract language.  I'm sure they'll argue that the
quid pro quo is provision of the service for free, and that will likely succeed.  However, the existing ads are basically normally
paid ads, so they are following a standard commercial model.  That model generally requires that your comments and likeness be
compensated when used for "commercial use", in the copyright sense.

Stephen