[FoRK] Static ec-static intensities of superlative techno-transcendentalizing futurology

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 3 22:48:26 PDT 2012

> There's only two futures, neo-liberal-collectivist Borg where free society is smothered by Orwellian authoritarianism or
> neo-liberal-classicist triviality where we put the pillow over our own heads as we smother ourselves with amusement with more and
> better meaningless distractions and pursuits.
>
> http://www.prosebeforehos.com/image-of-the-day/08/24/huxley-vs-orwell-infinite-distraction-or-government-oppression/
>
> Anyone see any other way off this highway?

False dichotomy.
People need to lead fulfilling, fun lives.  For a few that means pushing the envelope, extending the state of the art or
accomplishing something that's left to be done.  We're pretty far from multi-planet, multi-solar system dominion, and really far
from full god capability.  Anything short of that is loafing.

It's pretty easy to come up with fractal training, fun, and challenge structure that keeps most people harmlessly busy and still
produces a few edge pushers.  And you can't reliably or even predictably choose elites from birth, you need full random coverage.
Conceptually, even those who don't accomplish any advances are indirectly supporting those that do in various senses.  We pretty
much have something like this now, in first world countries anyway.  We first need to get everyone into the modern age and out of
the lower Maslow levels.

sdw