[FoRK] Taxi Medallions: How New York’s terrible taxi system makes fares higher and drivers poorer.

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 11 00:19:18 PDT 2012

On 6/10/12 11:03 PM, Damien Morton wrote:
> How do you transition from a medallion ownership regime to one where you
> lease from the city?
>
> What do you say to the guy who bought a medallion last year?
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III<j3 at barrera.org>wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the need for middlemen. Why doesn't the city directly
>> lease the medallions?

Sucker!

Probably the only reasonable way to work out of this situation is to set a sunset for 4-10 years and just suffer until then.  Buying
out the current medallions would be tough, although you could argue that taxes could cover it, although the argument will probably
be that taxes will be less, etc.

Taxing the medallions differently might make sense too.

A) What a mess.  B) What a lesson in unintended consequences.  C) NY  What a clusterfuck.