[FoRK] short-term predictions: 2014, 2017, 2022

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jun 13 15:27:41 PDT 2012

> On 6/13/2012 2:42 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>> I think you've hit the nail on the head.  3d printing isn't really that interesting.  Decentralized, ad hoc, on demand, no
>> transport manufacturing is.

3D printing is interesting, just not that interesting on its own.  Many people are making a living selling 3D printers built with a
few key parts and a chassis built with laser-cut plywood.  Use for models and mockups has already replaced previous methods.  Some
3D printing is getting high enough quality to be usable directly for durable items.  The main problem is printing speed, along with
resolution in simpler versions.

> Don't forget a decentralized Feed, as well.

The utility feeds of raw materials (found in a number of nanopunk novels) is probably a good model.  It would be reasonably easy to
encapsulate units of raw materials, plastic / metal / carbon / chemicals / wood fiber / etc., and deliver them as containers or pump
them through a mattermain or from a manker periodically.  The mattermain could probably be the water main, with last mile adapters
to control whether a location receives mattermodules+water or just water.  The modules containers themselves should be an inert
thermoplastic that goes into the 3D printer for recycling after mattermunching.

Configure modules with different specific gravity with multiple input pipes or RFID tagging with a module filtering system to
probabilistically route the desired module type inventory to your residactory / makouse.  Or unused modules could simply be returned
to the feed main through a venturi vacuum return pipe.

That structure points to a possible solution for efficient recycling / garbage / toxins handling: Eject sealed muckmodules into the
sewage system to be filtered and processed according to type.