[FoRK] short-term predictions: 2014, 2017, 2022

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 17 00:39:28 PDT 2012

Objet seems to be one of the furthest out on the printing technology:
http://www.objet.com/3D-Printer/Objet_Desktop_Family/#objet30

Currently, everyone is working on an "insert the circuit" mode, which is reasonable for now.

It shouldn't be long before standard components will exist that pack a lot of flexible processing power into a tiny modular
package.  The essence of a smartphone, sans screen, battery, etc., might become very small and cheap soon.  You don't really
need any other computing component for a very wide range of projects.  The rest is peripherals.  There, a standard set of touch
screens, Bluetooth et al, etc. also covers just about every possible circumstance.  The only real variability will be in
actuators, headers (magnetron module?), etc.  It's not out of the question to just have hoppers full of each of those, waiting
to be inserted into a designed and have software downloaded.

Stephen