[FoRK] lazy QR code

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:58:24 PDT 2012

I'd like a mobile app that told me which URLs were intended to be
fixed in nearby space. For example, HEAD on such a link might have
lat/long for my GPS to sync up with.  I suppose you could validate
such URLs by checking whether an open access point named them.

So there's a wifi AP named "http://tinyurl.com/[id]". Whether it's
open or requires a password doesn't matter.

You dereference http://tinyurl.com/[id] and get the home page for the
organization running the AP.

You could easily write such an app. When opened it scans for access
points. For any that start with http:// it pre-fetches and pulls
useful metadata like the page title. It shows a list of each such
objects.

Far more useful and likely to be successful than QR codes.