[FoRK] lazy QR code

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:32:36 PDT 2012

Goal: eliminate as many steps as possible in finding digital
embodiments of your current physical location.

Usecase: you're in the grocery store, you can't find the juice, you
open your "digital embodiment of this location" app, it goes straight
to a map of the store with your location marked, you search for "oj",
it shows you the route.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Kevin Marks <kevinmarks at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you dereference the AP?

My thought was that the AP's name would contain all the stuff you
needed from it. Dereferencing would require your own net connection.

A benefit of this strategy is that a provider doesn't need to provide
an open AP.

>  By connecting to it? If so, there are 2
> existing ideas here:
> Sending a URL in option code 56 for DHCP on connection:
>
> http://www.google.com/patents/US7080132

Indeed that seems to have been one intent - "and also allows
URL-formatted text that may cause web pages or other internet
resources to be presented by the client processing system."

> If you're connected to the API, you can use DNS-SD for nearby webservers
> over mDNS, look for '_http._tcp.'
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-11

I have to read this and the mDNS spec to understand them.

> (running apache web sharing on MacOS advertises these, Safari will browse
> them - go to Bonjour in the Bookmarks page).

Wha? Can you say more about this?