[FoRK] lazy QR code

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:55:28 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:

> Goal: eliminate as many steps as possible in finding digital
> embodiments of your current physical location.
>
> Usecase: you're in the grocery store, you can't find the juice, you
> open your "digital embodiment of this location" app, it goes straight
> to a map of the store with your location marked, you search for "oj",
> it shows you the route.
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Kevin Marks <kevinmarks at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How do you dereference the AP?
>
> My thought was that the AP's name would contain all the stuff you
> needed from it. Dereferencing would require your own net connection.
>
> A benefit of this strategy is that a provider doesn't need to provide
> an open AP.
>
> >  By connecting to it? If so, there are 2
> > existing ideas here:
> > Sending a URL in option code 56 for DHCP on connection:
> >
> > http://www.google.com/patents/US7080132
>
> Indeed that seems to have been one intent - "and also allows
> URL-formatted text that may cause web pages or other internet
> resources to be presented by the client processing system."
>

> > If you're connected to the API, you can use DNS-SD for nearby webservers
> > over mDNS, look for '_http._tcp.'
> >
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-11
>
> I have to read this and the mDNS spec to understand them.
>

> > (running apache web sharing on MacOS advertises these, Safari will browse
> > them - go to Bonjour in the Bookmarks page).
>
> Wha? Can you say more about this?

go to the Sites directory in your user folder and edit the index.html to
something other than the default (this stage took me a while to find,
zeroConf it ain't - see
http://adrianhosey.blogspot.com/2008/05/os-x-bonjour-apache.html )

then turn on 'Web Sharing' in you Sharing System prefs pane. This starts up
Apache, and serves your ~/Sites/ files.

In Safari, go to History->Show All History
Click on the Bonjour item on the left
See a list of usernames that have enabled web sharing and edited the
index.html
click on one
ta-da

There's sample code for how to discover and browse these in various places,
search for Bonjour or Zeroconf

Defining a geo-oriented DNS-SD service might make sense too.