[FoRK] lazy QR code

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Wed Jun 20 06:52:58 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 04:13:42AM -0400, Damien Morton wrote:
> > Hmm, I was just doing some rough calculation on this.
> >
> > At $1 per m^3, there is enough potential in this business concept,
> selling
> > to Americans only, to almost double the GDP of the United States, from
> $15T
> > to $30T, and this is assuming only small areas with volumes extending
> above
> > 1m.
>
> Plenty of m^3 at mere ~AU in the local system.

1e60 m^3 in the galaxy, most of it low-value

You'd want a set of relative coordinate spaces, and this would increase the
potential for monetisation.

Earth-relative addressing, moon-relative addressing, sol-relative
addressing, L4-relative addressing, and so on and so forth.

Starting with earth relative addressing, you could increase the potential
for monetisation by having different top-level-domains, for example, a
.gov.us.earth.location domain would 'own' all of the volume representing
the united states, but would co-exist with .com.us.earth.location  Like the
current (expanded) top-level domain system, each top level domain
administrator would be responsible for managing the policies that govern
that domain.

And, each signed m^3 location domain would be able to sign location
subdomain certificates

Essentially, each of these earth-relative location domains would be an AR
overlay governed by different policies.

Of course, each top level overlay could create sub-overlays, for example, a
nasa.gov.us.earth.location overlay.

Here's a question for the hive-mind : is signing meter sized voxels the
right way to go for this virtual land office? I mean, differential GPS goes
down to cm-level resolution these days, and signing cm-sized voxels
seems unwieldy.

Might some kind of geometric representation be a better way
to delineate space. Or, perhaps some kind of octree representation, in
which the resolution of voxel signing is infinite be the way to go.