[FoRK] short-term predictions: 2014, 2017, 2022

Bill Humphries whump at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 01:47:08 PDT 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 12:03 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:53:35AM -0400, Damien Morton wrote:
>> Thats fucking wonderful... maybe we don't need to worry about carbon
>> emissions at alls, since it will all be subsumed in a sol terminal phase
>> diamond.
>
> Even sooner. In about 500 megayears, certainly less than a gigayear
> you can stick a fork into any biological, at least on this planet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future for the doom-y details.

600 million years, ~99% of species die off because common photosynthesis will cease to work because of diminished CO2 concentration (see, the climate denier are only thinking at the wrong scale…)

By 1 billion years, it's hot, damp and sterile here.

-- whump