[FoRK] coffee drone

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jun 22 10:04:55 PDT 2012

On 6/22/12 9:19 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Yeah, it is double plus badass. But illegal. No commercial drones for now.
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
>> Haven't you seen taco copter?
>>
>> Greg
>>

>> On 6/22/2012 9:00 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>>> You can't legally make a drone that allows cafes to deliver lattes.
>>> But you can make a drone that flies coffee from a maker in the kitchen
>>> to your bedside.

Clearly, you could send your own drone out to get the latte so that the flight is minion not commercial.  Staying under 400 ft.
is convenient for avoiding a radar signature (i.e. cruise missile mode).  The "line of sight" requirement is a little tough, but
you could always use a pair of drones that have remote cameras pointed at each other for monitoring.  The biggest problem is the
populated areas rule.  That is fairly stringent for the FAA...  In a real plane, you can fly right down to the ground in an
unpopulated clear area, while you need 500 ft. from any person or structure in an unpopulated area (leaving 100 ft gap between
you and drones) and 1000 ft. in a populated area.  I've frequently practiced lost engine landing down to 10-20 ft. and flown at
1000 ft. over Helsinki.

So, if you live in a sparsely populated area and you can see the coffee shop from your vantage point, you're all set now, legally.