[FoRK] coffee drone

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Fri Jun 22 11:32:50 PDT 2012

I've been thinking about an autonomous personal cameraman.

You wear a unit on your arm, with GPS and a radio that broadcasts your
location, and 5 large chunky buttons labelled ORBIT-ME, LEAD-ME, FOLLOW-ME,
TRACK-LEFT, TRACK-RIGHT.

Paired up with that is a drone with a pan-tilt camera and a slightly
modified version of ArduPilot.

GPS on its own might not give the required accuracy. A Ublox LEA-6H gives
around 3m 50% CEP. If you make a poor mans differential GPS with RTKLIB or
GoGPS, and a third GPS unit and transceiver, you can get down to 10-20-30cm
accuracy, which is plenty to keep a human in the frame with 1m either side.