[FoRK] coffee drone

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jun 22 12:01:44 PDT 2012

On 6/22/12 11:32 AM, Damien Morton wrote:
> I've been thinking about an autonomous personal cameraman.
>
> You wear a unit on your arm, with GPS and a radio that broadcasts your
> location, and 5 large chunky buttons labelled ORBIT-ME, LEAD-ME, FOLLOW-ME,
> TRACK-LEFT, TRACK-RIGHT.
>
> Paired up with that is a drone with a pan-tilt camera and a slightly
> modified version of ArduPilot.
>
> GPS on its own might not give the required accuracy. A Ublox LEA-6H gives
> around 3m 50% CEP. If you make a poor mans differential GPS with RTKLIB or
> GoGPS, and a third GPS unit and transceiver, you can get down to 10-20-30cm
> accuracy, which is plenty to keep a human in the frame with 1m either side.

Machine vision, optionally paired with radial range finder like a VOR/DME would solve this easily.  The latter could be done
visually with an IR beacon beany.  Machine vision and human pose recognition can easily track a walking human now.

Clearly, this is needed for God-mode video capture (back country mountain biking etc.) and smite-thee-bully protection.  Allow
manual switchover to your guardian angel buddies for video game strafing as needed, upon panic button.