[FoRK] coffee drone

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Fri Jun 22 12:12:00 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> On 6/22/12 11:32 AM, Damien Morton wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking about an autonomous personal cameraman.

> Machine vision, optionally paired with radial range finder like a VOR/DME
> would solve this easily.  The latter could be done visually with an IR
> beacon beany.  Machine vision and human pose recognition can easily track a
> walking human now.

Machine vision isn't quite reliable enough for this, and the beacons that
exist require expensive IR vision gear to see.

There exist laser beacons, but again, the vision systems needed for those
are pretty sophisticated.

There are laser tracking devices that lock onto retroreflectors, and these
are used for sub-mm level surveying work. Expensive.

Of course, if your drone has to carry around significant machine vision
grunt, that puts a dent in your energy budget.

A hybrid system, using GPS and vision might be made to work, I suppose.

> Clearly, this is needed for God-mode video capture (back country mountain
> biking etc.) and smite-thee-bully protection.  Allow manual switchover to
> your guardian angel buddies for video game strafing as needed, upon panic
> button.

It would be cool to be able to point at somone and pull an imaginary
trigger to command your Personal Aerial Guardian to turd-bomb that person
seconds later.