[FoRK] coffee drone

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jun 22 12:22:28 PDT 2012

On 6/22/12 12:12 PM, Damien Morton wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Stephen D. Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 6/22/12 11:32 AM, Damien Morton wrote:
>>
>>> I've been thinking about an autonomous personal cameraman.

>> Machine vision, optionally paired with radial range finder like a VOR/DME
>> would solve this easily.  The latter could be done visually with an IR
>> beacon beany.  Machine vision and human pose recognition can easily track a
>> walking human now.
>>
> Machine vision isn't quite reliable enough for this, and the beacons that
> exist require expensive IR vision gear to see.

If you were to wear a 1 ft. square target on your back and a similar one on your head, it would be trivial to track visually.
Should be doable without that, but trivial with it.  Code's been out there for recognition / tracking for at least 4 years.  You'd
probably want a zoom camera paired with wide angle to get good distance, but pretty trivial.  Tracking stability would be based on
visual flow, corner search, and movement prediction / motion estimation.

Get me a quad or hex copter that can carry a good smart phone, and I'll implement something.  In a few months when I have time.  But
they'll probably be selling by then.  Already the open source autopilot is rivaling defense projects in some sense.

I plan to visit these guys shortly:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/ff_drones
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/ardupilot-mega-home-page
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/tour-of-the-new-3d-robotics-factory
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/Purchase

Tracking in the open isn't too hard.  The difficult level is environment understanding and planning so that it wouldn't run into
trees, buildings, tunnels, other quadracopters, etc.  I.e. a full self-driving skycopter / skybot.