[FoRK] Species Lifespans (was short-term predictions: 2014, 2017, 2022)

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jun 23 11:37:12 PDT 2012

On 6/23/12 10:14 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> On 6/23/2012 8:28 AM, John Parsons wrote:
>> Like outlasting sharks and crocodiles before we engage in interplanetary hubris.
>
> Huh? What's wrong with interplanetary hubris?

Indeed.  Doesn't "hubris" imply someone smugly schadenfreude laden when we fail?
Isn't the point of striving for interplanetary hubris to avoid having an auto-schadenfreudian slip into oblivion?

We simply need to social engineer religious groups to concentrate on "go forth and multiply" to turn their flocks into
science-loving rationalist with a mission to convert those heathen planets.  Be all the God you can be.  How to be like Jesus?
Populate the heavens!

> Have you recently been menaced by sharks and crocodiles?

Those are just hardy pets.  Our pre-singularity selves are going to be way more badass than some calcium-based toothy predator.
Heck, even our dogs have titanium teeth now.
http://gothamist.com/2011/05/05/war_dogs_wear_doggles_sometimes_hav.php#photo-1
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=73054

Ants, cockroaches, and deep sea bacteria trouble me.  They already out number and out weigh us.  I suppose that makes them food
at some point.