[FoRK] Species Lifespans (was short-term predictions: 2014, 2017, 2022)

John Parsons bullwinklemouth at yahoo.ca
Sat Jun 23 14:36:02 PDT 2012

________________________________
 From: Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net>

>Ants, cockroaches, and deep sea bacteria trouble me.  They already out number and out weigh us.  I suppose that makes them food
at some point.

Most of them have outlasted us  (in species terms) as well, and would be expected to do better than humans when faced with excessive ionizing radiation (a higher likelihood scenario than homo sapiens colonizing other planets). Perhaps Soylent Green is what *they'll* be feasting on.

From: Gary Stock <gstock at nexcerpt.com>

>Just leave all us pathetic heathens alone to... "evolve."

Yep, it'll take a few more iterations of "intelligent" life before anyone's (anything's?) ready for "dominion". There's also no evidence that "intelligence" is 'survival positive' in species and cosmic Darwinian terms, and there won't be sufficient evidence for at least another few tens of millions of years. Might as well get comfortable, it's going to be a sizeable wait...

JP