[FoRK] That’s No Phone. That’s My Tracker.

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jul 16 11:33:59 PDT 2012

Only when everyone you call is participating with you in a traffic mixer, TOR-like, where the actual connection is hidden, could you
possibly have real privacy.  Even then, many things could give you away.

Relative to my previous message about how a group could create a real privacy cloud/cone ("light cone" has a geeky ring to it),
you'd want some way to continuously validate it.  Otherwise, you just have something between hubris and security theater.  Perhaps
we need a continual game of "find me" or "who am I talking to?" or "what am I saying?" where everyone actively tracks the trackable
(police car #123 spotted at GPS:...) to provide an illustration and test of security measures.  That has the possibly nice /
possibly nefarious side effect of a reason for tracking.

What is worse?

  * Federal government tracking
  * Local government tracking (overactive local yocals, Arizona supreme sheriff et al)
  * Individuals tracking many others
  * Special interest groups tracking other target groups?

sdw