[FoRK] Fwd: Microsoft Posts First Quarterly Loss Ever [lost decades]

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jul 19 18:44:47 PDT 2012

MicroWho?

On my 12 hyperthreaded core (i.e. 24 effective core), 64GB Mac, I
reconfigured the number of processors and memory in my Windows 7 VM,
because it is a pig.  Then, because the "hardware" changed too much, I
spent 10-15 minutes on the phone with an automated system, typing 48
digits into the phone, then 48 digits into the dialog box, then waiting
a while, verifying "that your copy of Windows is genuine" before I could
continue.  I did an OS update and recompile in the Linux VM while I
waited once I was done confirming my using-MS-products-again stupidity.
Shame on me. Then it took 3 update/reboot cycles until it was ready to
use.  By that time, I'd lost interest and began porting the code to OS X.

Everything is quickly approaching a solid technical baseline that leaves
Microsoft in the cold in most ways:
Linux on the server, HTML5 or Java/C++/OC++ on IOS/Android on mobile
(with IOS questionable for the long run), HTML5 (HTML/CSS/Javascript
plus C++ extensions) or Qt or Java on the desktop, any desktop.  Nothing
else matters because it will dwindle in currency, competitiveness, and
interest ever more rapidly.

There's plenty of settle left on the server side, on Linux. Anything new
that emerges for desktop development will necessarily be
cross-platform.  Anything new that emerges for the server will
necessarily assume Linux, VMs, etc.

Office is facing different kinds of existential threats than Windows,
but it is nevertheless highly exposed and evolving far too slowly to
survive the coming phase change.

The only question is how quickly Windows and Office will fade or be
upstaged.  I think I know one interesting path, but we'll see.

Microsoft could easily pivot and recover, but they've shown every sign
of being too thick-headed and thick-bellied to do anything serious about
it.  And we're probably better off for it.  I could solve their
problems, but they wouldn't listen even if they heard me, any more than
McNealy listened by my suggestions a decade ago.

All that said, this is just a blip from a write-down apparently. MS has
plenty of cash, still has a lot of suckers hooked, and has plenty of
maneuvering room.  They could surprise, but past performance leads to
the conclusion that it wouldn't be a nice surprise.