[FoRK] Fwd: Microsoft Posts First Quarterly Loss Ever [lost decades]

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jul 19 19:59:55 PDT 2012

Microsoft Windows, and to some extent Office, are expensive, constantly painful, annoying pain in the ass products.  Office is less
obviously a problem to neophytes other than cost/DRM, but most components are nasty to heavy users.  I have been feeling the shape
of the threat emerging for quite a while and it is about to be a full-blown flu.  I am well aware of a lot of the pain involved in
Office-style documents, versioning problems, the app interface, etc.  Technically, in terms of implementation and file formats and
legacy, they are also a mess.

I see some alternate futures that may suddenly diverge in major ways from the Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Visio quad we've been beholden
to.  Some of those leave little to no room for Office to pivot with any serious installed base benefit.  That usually does mean a
normal total assimilation phase, but that can become a cliff in some circumstances.  Word/Excel just embraced and extended
WordPerfect, Lotus 123, etc.  The next step will be a quantum jump, not just a continuation of exactly the same paradigms done a
little better and much cheaper (LibreOffice). LibreOffice/OpenOffice is great, and for things like book-size documents, far better
than Word.  But it breaks little new ground in the basic paradigm.

To be slightly more clear:

Windows must die because of a truly terrible interface, annoying cost/maintenance/DRM aspects, a few broken paradigms, and a
somewhat less technically correct underpinning.  Other desktop operating systems have only marginally better user interfaces, but
their existence isn't so very dependent on comfort of the masses clinging to Windows because it is comfortable.  And other OSen are
much more easily extended and transformed, Linux because it just is, and OSX because Apple is nimble and, to some extent, modifiable
in the Unixen style.

Office et all must die because of their stale interface and data model paradigm, buggy mess in implementation and formats, and cost.

If such a Micropolypse comes to pass, it will be because users become much happier with a better interface, better paradigms, ease
of obtaining and maintaining devices, complete freedom to integrate all kinds of products and services and devices and
relationships, with a high comfort and trust level in all senses.