[FoRK] Fwd: Microsoft Posts First Quarterly Loss Ever [lost decades]

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jul 20 01:13:55 PDT 2012

> From my perspective:
>
> MS Office is unnecessary. LibreOffice is just fine. I can't stand MS Office > 2003 anyways. Office 2000 is all I ever needed.
>
> But Windows... Windows 7 is rock stable for me on any number of computers. And the one advantage that Windows still has is that if
> you want to install software, you just grab a single universal .msi (well, if you care, you can choose between 32 and 64 bit), and
> it will just work. DLL hell is a distant memory.

Even Windows 7 is full of cringe for me.  Every few seconds I want to gag.
OS X isn't perfect, but it is much much more comfortable. Installing apps, for instance, is trivially easy and fast compared to
Windows in nearly all cases.

For the OS and most basic stuff, Linux is very nice with apt-get / yum.

> Whereas on Linux, installation is a mess. Sometimes there's an .rpm for you, sometimes you have to actually build the thing
> yourself. There's no technical reason for this, as far as I can tell, but in real life it's a pain in the ass.

It should be better, much more like OS X.