[FoRK] Fwd: Microsoft Posts First Quarterly Loss Ever [lost decades]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 20 01:28:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 07:09:41PM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> Okay, I agree with everything you are saying, but
>
> How long until you think x86 goes away?

The question is even worse: when will SMP multicore end?
AMD is out of the game, though they still make APU noises.
Intel MIC promises to ship this year, but it's still a
(stripped down) x86 core. There, it doesn't really matter
if it's MIPS, ARM or x86 on a Dachau diet.

Everybody's still programming like single-threaded, at
best multi-threaded applications are the thing to last
for another decade if not two. Meanwhile, not only
clocks stopped doubling half a decade ago, but Moore
has ended (not in the feature size, in the price scaling)
as well. Can it be that architecture is about to start
matter, again?