[FoRK] Fwd: Microsoft Posts First Quarterly Loss Ever [lost decades]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 20 01:49:01 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 08:57:59PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> From my perspective:
>
> MS Office is unnecessary. LibreOffice is just fine. I can't stand MS
> Office > 2003 anyways. Office 2000 is all I ever needed.

If you have to interoperate with MS Office users document formatting
will suffer if you pass back and forth. If you're supporting industry
customers with strange Redmond things (like OLE and wmf/emf stuff)
you pretty much have to bite the bullet.

If you talk to customers, they haven't even figured out that
OpenOffice is no longer around.

> But Windows... Windows 7 is rock stable for me on any number of
> computers. And the one advantage that Windows still has is that if you
> want to install software, you just grab a single universal .msi (well,
> if you care, you can choose between 32 and 64 bit), and it will just
> work. DLL hell is a distant memory.
>
> Whereas on Linux, installation is a mess. Sometimes there's an .rpm for
> you, sometimes you have to actually build the thing yourself. There's no
> technical reason for this, as far as I can tell, but in real life it's a
> pain in the ass.

Ubuntu has worked well for me in the past. 12.04 is actually very decent.

> I'll probably run Windows 7 until it EOLs... and then switch to Linux at
> that point, since Windows 8 is so unusable.

It promises to make Vista look like a roaring success.