[FoRK] E-Learning 2.0: Dense and entertaining

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jul 20 14:25:45 PDT 2012

On 7/20/12 12:47 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 01:38:19PM -0600, Tom Higgins wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>>> Good points. I agree. Even for more traditionally feeling e-learning, there
>>> are certain must-have features that many still don't get: Variable speed
>>> playback (1.5x is my favorite), many short segments, easily replayable,
>>> frequent quizzes to make sure you understood the short segment, closely
>>> linked forum / knowledgebase, etc.
>> I have been going thru some of the elearning offerings. most of em get
>> a point or two right but few that I have hit on get it mostly right.
>> Khan Academy is a stunningly great example of doing it right, for the
>> math section at least. I have also stared toying with doing the
>> repetitive study group vector using google hangouts.
> Speaking about online courses, https://www.coursera.org/ shapes up
> to be just great. Khan is not so good in places.

I took the inaugural Machine Learning course, which was completely awesome.  It was just perfect.  The competing-system / company AI
class was good, but not as effective although it had far more starting users (160K as you may remember, with around 39K completing).

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700221392/Stanford-professor-resigns-launches-Udacity-Free-online-university-level-computer-science.html?pg=all

If I weren't so busy, I'd be taking as many of these as I could again.  As it was, I didn't have time for those two classes, but it
had to be done.  Awesome that those pioneers shamed the university professors, and the system to some extent, into opening up like
this.  2011/2012 has clearly been the year of higher education soul searching, among other things.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/168538/sullivan-resignation-spotlights-debate-about-online-education#
" massively open online courses, known colloquially as MOOCs"

Stephen