[FoRK] E-Learning 2.0: Dense and entertaining

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jul 20 17:50:33 PDT 2012

On 7/20/12 2:56 PM, Owen Byrne wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 02:25:45PM -0700, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> I took the inaugural Machine Learning course, which was completely
>> awesome.  It was just perfect.  The competing-system / company AI
>> class was good, but not as effective although it had far more
>> starting users (160K as you may remember, with around 39K
>> completing).

>> " massively open online courses, known colloquially as MOOCs"
>>
>> Stephen
> I also took the machine learning course, and thought the teaching method was great, but I found the programming assignments to be ludicrously easy.

The early ones were very easy, and the write-this-function structure was easy in the programming sense since the structure was
always there for you (although it took some debugging on Octave a couple times).  However, some of the later assignments took fairly
complete understanding of the concepts to get right.  And the resulting code seemed to be generally usable in most cases.  Overall,
the gap between knowledge and widely useful capability before and after was huge.

The whole point of using Matlab/Octave was to concentrate on the concepts at hand independent of programming details.

> Owen

Stephen