[FoRK] The War on School / students / critical thinking

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jul 22 19:14:03 PDT 2012

Really Texas GOP, again?  Bozos all the way down.  You might expect something like this in a little podunk back woods, but Texas
is a large, populous state...  There's no excuse for this.  Poor Texas students.

Because it's hard to link to Mercury News, I'll go with the Huffington Post version:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/texas-republican-party-2012-platform-education_n_1632097.html
Texas Republican Party Calls For Abstinence Only Sex Ed, Corporal Punishment In Schools

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?s=6a5e6a954e415bdab938ffbcaca673f8&showtopic=514790
> I was born in Texas and I live in Texas but if this is their stance on critical thinking then I may want to die in Texas quite
> soon. I cannot begin to understand the thought process that lead them to this stance. By stating this, they either show that
> they themselves do not use critical thinking or that they are hypocrites and are explicitly denying current and future
> children what they themselves use.
>
> I shouldn't have to but critical thinking is the most important thing to teach. Why, because if we don't question our values
> or our current situation then we can never adapt to our situation. It's like evolution, if we can't adapt to our situation
> then we fail, and only through critical thinking can we first understand the change in our situation, and then figure out how
> to adapt to it.
> It's just so f*cking asinine. I hate to get emotional about it, but I can't help but get extremely pissed.
>
> I have been thinking about it and right underneath they mention that it is mainly a parents job to educate. So maybe they are
> thinking that a parent will do that? Still I have to consider a bad idea, because a child spends most of his or hers early
> lifetime being taught not by their parents but the school. I have hard time seeing many parents teaching critical thinking
> too. So it's going to have to be taught in schools.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/louisiana-students-loch-ness-monster-disprove-evolution_n_1624643.html

Louisiana Private Schools Teach Loch Ness Monster Is Real In Effort To Disprove Evolution Theory

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marian-wright-edelman/pushing-children-out-of-s_b_1690870.html
Pushing Children Out of School -- A New American Value?

Please, More of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYGGQEHaRe0#t=3975s