[FoRK] "computers instead of hands"

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jul 22 19:41:48 PDT 2012

On 7/22/12 7:13 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 08:26:18AM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>> ...and wrt ted rall, there's two types of people in the world.
>> Employees and entrepreneurs.   They view work very differently.
>> He's talking about a sub-class of employees which is un-incentivized
>> wage earners, possibly hourly or capitalized as hourly.

A lot more people should understand what it is to be an entrepreneur, and why it can be good.  However, they also need to
understand that they need to work hard to have a marketable skill. I've seen first hand the problems people can have when they
have the entrepreneurial bug but are impatient at actually building skill, spending the 10K hours, etc.

> I've noticed that Mr. Romney's speeches have been appealing to aspirational
> entrepreneurs lately.  I'm glad people look up to entrepreneurs enough that
> they'd like to think they share their concerns.

What gave you the idea that Romney knows anything about entrepreneurialism?  I see nothing that qualifies.

His viewpoint is woefully out of touch for any real potential entrepreneur:
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/romney-entrepreneurs-should-just-ask-parents

>> Entrepreneurs are typically workaholics, not because they need a job
>> or need money--it's because they love it and relish the thought of
>> trying to change the world, with something they invented, for the
>> better.

The biggest sin is being able to make the world a better place and not choosing to do so.  Trying and failing is a virtue, and
usually, in a way, you are contributing to competitive pressure for someone to succeed.  It is great when companies do well when
they create positive change in the world (Google, Facebook, Apple) and it sucks when they do well

> Well said.  Sounds like the hipster artisans we buy from (when we can
> afford it) and the back-to-the-landers my wife sells to.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/opinion/sunday/the-entrepreneurial-generation.html
> Buncha damnlibrul volvo-driving snots, ahtellya.
>
> Note also the growth of indie game development.  The gaming netcode world
> is now working out how to support thousands of individual devs, in addition
> to the big studios.

There's gold in them thar hills!