[FoRK] Do you beLIEve?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sun Jul 22 19:46:07 PDT 2012

On Jul 21, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Stephen D. Williams quoted:
> That view is more nuanced than the one held by many health care reform proponents — that citizens are only ill-informed because Rush Limbaugh makes them so. (For the record, the authors say justifying false beliefs extends equally to liberals, who they hypothesize would behave similarly given a different set of issues.)

This was an odd assertion. Self-described liberals are as ill-informed and believe as many false things about the healthcare reform bill as self-described conservatives. No need to hypothesize about a different set of issues. People believe whatever they are told fits their preferred narrative. After all, at some level all facts are mere opinions.

It is why I like to point out that an alarming number of people who "believe in evolution" basically have a creationist's understanding of evolution. The problem is not what people believe but that they can be spoon-fed almost any belief with minimal critical evaluation. It isn't a matter of them being more or less informed in most cases.

--
J. Andrew Rogers
Twitter: @jandrewrogers