[FoRK] Fwd: Rand Paul: Obama Just Banned 1 Million Firearms

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Mon Aug 6 00:55:10 PDT 2012

You think the Economist reads FoRK? Or Scalia?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/07/gun-rights

"The idea that, in the modern world, a country full of people with
private handguns, shotguns and AR-15s in their households is more
likely to remain a liberal democracy than a country whose citizens
lack such weapons is frankly ridiculous. Worldwide, there is no
correlation whatsoever at the country level between private handgun
ownership and liberal democracy. There are no cases of democratic
countries in which nascent authoritarian governments were successfully
resisted due to widespread gun ownership."

"When, on the other hand, authoritarian governments are overthrown in
military uprisings (as opposed to peaceful revolutions, which are more
common), the arms that defeat them come from defecting soldiers or
outside aid. "

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/07/29/602491/scalia-rocket-launcher/

WALLACE: What about… a weapon that can fire a hundred shots in a minute?
SCALIA: We’ll see. Obviously the Amendment does not apply to arms that
cannot be hand-carried — it’s to keep and “bear,” so it doesn’t apply
to cannons — but I suppose here are hand-held rocket launchers that
can bring down airplanes, that will have to be decided.
WALLACE: How do you decide that if you’re a textualist?
SCALIA: Very carefully.... My starting point and my ending point will
be...  the understood limitations the society had at the time. They
had some limitations on the nature of arms that could be borne, so
we'll see as to what those limitations are as applied to modern
weapons.

Muskets bitch.