[FoRK] Fwd: Rand Paul: Obama Just Banned 1 Million Firearms

mdw at martinwills.com mdw at martinwills.com
Mon Aug 6 08:07:47 PDT 2012

Why is everyone so determined to throw away a guaranteed right?  Millions
of American's alive and dead sacrificed themselves in order to defend and
protect the Constitution of the U.S. (myself included). Only those people
who have put themselves in harms way to protect the Constitution should be
allowed to change it (enough said on my view).  When people who are
totally lacking in common sense and paint broad brushstrokes on gun
ownership are the morons that really need to be weaned from the gene pool.

The basis for the 2nd amendment is found in our own history.  We overthrew
an oppressive government to be free.  The only way that was accomplished,
was everyone that fought against the British had their own guns.  Without
them, we would still be a British commonwealth country.

How long do you supposed Iraq would have been under Hussein if his people
were armed? (The AK-47's they all have today were stolen from Iraqi army
supply depo's during/after the overthrow or taken by the soldiers when
they defected). What about Libya?  They had to steal and kill for their
weapons.  What about Syria today?  The rebels fighting there have to steal
and kill for their weapons and they are screaming for help from outside
countries to give them arms and ammunition.  What about Iran?  Their
students have tried a couple of times to change the leadership but were
suppressed by their own armed security forces.

It isn't an issue of whether guns are good or bad.  The issue is the
eroding of the 2nd amendment by a government that has already passed
legislation that allows U.S. citizens to be assassinated oversea's with
drone attacks. US citizens in the U.S. can be arrested and denied their
constitution rights to a lawyer or court access if they are deemed "a
threat" (to be defined at a later date). I'm sorry, the events of history
are already forgotten by this group. "History doesn't repeat,  but it is
good at lip-syncing".

--Martin--

> You think the Economist reads FoRK? Or Scalia?
>
> http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/07/gun-rights
>
> "The idea that, in the modern world, a country full of people with
> private handguns, shotguns and AR-15s in their households is more
> likely to remain a liberal democracy than a country whose citizens
> lack such weapons is frankly ridiculous. Worldwide, there is no
> correlation whatsoever at the country level between private handgun
> ownership and liberal democracy. There are no cases of democratic
> countries in which nascent authoritarian governments were successfully
> resisted due to widespread gun ownership."
>
> "When, on the other hand, authoritarian governments are overthrown in
> military uprisings (as opposed to peaceful revolutions, which are more
> common), the arms that defeat them come from defecting soldiers or
> outside aid. "
>

> http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/07/29/602491/scalia-rocket-launcher/
>
> WALLACE: What about
 a weapon that can fire a hundred shots in a minute?