[FoRK] Fwd: Rand Paul: Obama Just Banned 1 Million Firearms

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Aug 6 10:12:50 PDT 2012

On 8/6/12 8:50 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Mon, 8/6/12, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
>
>> An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when
>> one may have to back up his acts with his life.
>> Robert A. Heinlein
>>
> As an outsider (non-American) looking in, "polite" is one of the last terms I would use to describe American society.

What do you think American society would be like if we didn't have a few things holding us together / back?  We are much more polite
than we could be.

 From a different point of view, a different society might be more superficially polite while actually harboring various
under-the-breath animosities or non-understanding or immaturity.  I don't think Canada falls much into those as it seems that Canada
is relatively care free with only very gentle complexes.  Current-day Russians, especially the typical guy who is obsessively
Russian-metrosexual, they seem to have tough-guy exterior with a soft interior, which I won't characterize too much to be polite.
The French have their hyper-social-cooler-than-thou thing going. Etc.  Some would value a tendency of a more direct, open, and
honest mode which is short on platitudes but relatively straightforward and low on surprises.