[FoRK] Martin Wills -- Master Troll?

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Tue Aug 7 09:21:19 PDT 2012

On 8/7/12 9:35 AM, mdw at martinwills.com wrote:
> You don't know me that well.
Indeed.  Do any FoRKers know Martin Wills in any other context?

Kragen?  Joe?  Anybody?  Has Rohit ever even heard of MWills?

Please recognize this voice now dominating the room:
> Again, I consider everyone on this list to be nothing more than groups
> of monkeys typing furiously and the Google cloud translating it.
Note the comprehensiveness:  "~everyone~ on this list."  All of us.

(So as not to be "pedantic," let's ignore his self-inclusion.)

> This email list is not a valid forum for debate.  Never has been, never
> can be.
It ~can~ be a valid forum, and often was -- when it was actually FoRK.

(That would have been some time before 24 Jan 2011 when MW first posted.)

> I think running into a burning compartment, and dogging the hatch
> behind you in order to help fight the fire and save your comrades as a
> true measure of ones citizenship.  This is only developed in people who
> have gone through some sort of training that develops discipline and team
> work. Part of that training is rigid review and purposeful diligence to
> paying attention. I have never seen a lawyer, computer hacker, sanitation
> worker exhibit these abilities unless they have gone through some sort of
> discipline training.
Apparently all of us "monkeys" haven't had our discipline training.

Is FoRK ~intentionally~ open to subscription by ~all~ passersby?

GS