[FoRK] VM begats VN

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Aug 7 10:17:18 PDT 2012

On 8/7/12 12:06 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 11:49:03PM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> That and the usual profound stupidity in handing over your companies
>> operations to a 3rd party, and inability to see that it costs 2-3x as
> Yeah, my estimate is pretty much in 2-3 ballpark, too. Rented

In the limit, I don't doubt that this is true.  However, for a government agency and most legacy-style corporations, the loading
involved causes everything to be amplified.  That's why they are happy to pay $45/MB to EMC (or were not long ago), etc.  Cloud
computing allows very inefficient and not-yet-scaled companies get scaled, reasonably lean efficiencies in an incremental way.  It
has value, but it is not the solution for everything or much for a savvy party.