[FoRK] occupy

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Tue Aug 7 17:39:59 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
> Yeah, I'm not for abridging the free speech thing, but removing the carrot
> is probably a good approach.   I just yearn for the citizen legislature
> dayZ.

Germany seems to be a key innovator in electronic direct democracy -
with two key platforms supporting it (Liquid Feedback and Adhocracy).
The Pirate Partei is gathering significant votes and putting members
into parliament, and they are guided by Liquid Feedback, a kind of
online forum and voting system in which you can delegate a proxy to
vote on your behalf, but you can also revoke or override that
delegation at any time.

What is interesting is that the Parliamentary arm of the Pirate Partei
isnt bound to follow the proposals and directives produced by Liquid
Feedback, but the proposals have a moral force to them that is awfully
hard to ignore. It raises the question whether such a forum could be
imposed on an existing political structure by a significant majority
of its constituents. Pick one town, one county, one district, and
implement Liquid Feedback to provide 'guidance' to the political
structure. "has refused to follow the directives of his constituents N
times" is pretty powerful stuff.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/liquid-democracy-web-platform-makes-professor-most-powerful-pirate-a-818683.html

The Occupy movement, with its instinctive rejection of any
organisational principles, has failed to produce the consensus and
coherency it hoped for. Obviously, they have succeeded in changing the
national debate, inserting the words fairness and justice where before
they were ignored. Unlike the Tea Party, they haven't fielded any
candidates, which means politics remains unchanged altogether.