[FoRK] occupy - deliberative democracy

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Fri Aug 10 12:08:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar
<drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
> Hi Damien et al,
>
> On Aug 7, 2012, at 5:39 PM, Damien Morton wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
>>> Yeah, I'm not for abridging the free speech thing, but removing the carrot
>>> is probably a good approach.   I just yearn for the citizen legislature
>>> dayZ.
>>
>> Germany seems to be a key innovator in electronic direct democracy -
>> with two key platforms supporting it (Liquid Feedback and Adhocracy).
>> <snip>
>

> My friends the Fishkins are doing something analogous, but with a statistically-significant random selection of citizens meeting in-person, instead of an online forum:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliberative_opinion_poll
> http://cdd.stanford.edu/polls/docs/summary/
>
> They've already  had some notable successes in developing countries, and are in the midst of a major initiative in California:
>
> http://cdd.stanford.edu/polls/california/
> http://www.cafwd-action.org/pages/november-ballot
>
> If this works, it could provide the same sort of "moral force" you describe.   I personally think it could even 'scale up' to replace many (if not all) the current functions of our legislatures.

One could imagine large numbers of these random deliberative bodies
being formed up to evaluate proposed legislation - essentially acting
as a large jury for each legislative act.

Randomly selected into a pool, then randomly selected into
working-groups  AND sequestered, such bodies would be essentially
incorruptible.