[FoRK] occupy - deliberative democracy

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Tue Aug 14 11:44:07 PDT 2012

Hi Lucas,

On Aug 14, 2012, at 11:14 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> I could imagine implementing this at the level of community government.
>
> A city might commit to using it for some particular policy question.

And in fact, many of them have. Mostly in China:

> Deliberative polls have been held in China for over five years. The coastal township of Zeguo in Wenling city[3] has a population of 120,000. Fishkin's team selects 175 people who are representative of the general population. Deliberative polling takes place over a 3-day period, and the local government utilizes the priorities of the group. The experiment worked so well that the topic expanded from a single issue the first year (prioritizing public works projects) to the entire budget, and the Chinese are considering the process in other municipalities.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliberative_opinion_poll
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2015790,00.html

The techniques have been refined and validated at the city and regional level; if we can make it work in California, there's no reason we can't scale it up to federal politics...

-- Ernie P.