[FoRK] occupy - deliberative democracy

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Tue Aug 14 19:24:16 PDT 2012

I'm thinking that, to gain legitimacy, a demarchy would need to
operate in such a way that, in its steady state, everyone in a polity
would need to know someone who has served on a deliberative body at
some point in time.

If we say that on average, people 'know' maybe 300-500 other people,
and that their memories go back 10 to 20 years, a rough estimate would
be that between 1 in 3000 and 1 in 10000 people would need to serve in
any given year.

Thinking of a medium sized city or congressional district of about 1
million people, a random selection of 100 to 300 people might be
sufficient for the 'everyone connected' property.

Scaling it up to a national level, you could include more lotteristas
by breaking government up into various responsibilities, and assigning
a committee of 300 lotteriestas to each responsibility.

Even so, probably the best that can be hoped for is that someone knows
someone who knows someone who served. More indirect and less
legitimate.

You can multiply the number of lotteristas required by having them
serve for short periods only, say a single weekend, deliberating a
more fine-grained policy choices.

I imagine you would need some form of "standing committees" made up of
longer serving lotteristas, possibly setting the agendas to be
considered by short term lotteristas.

You would need to make serving voluntary, and you would make
compensation for time served pretty good - something indexed to the
median wage.