[FoRK] The War Against Youth (Was: We are in the Age of Personal Responsibility | Penelope Trunk Blog)

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 15 13:03:31 PDT 2012

--- On Wed, 8/15/12, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at jarbox.org> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2012, at 10:43 AM, "Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
> > Thanks Jeff.  I actually found this link in the
> article to be even more interesting.  Obviously she
> found it very interesting, too, since she linked it not once
> but twice, intentionally.
> >
> > http://www.esquire.com/features/young-people-in-the-recession-0412
>

> While I do not disagree with the basic thrust of this
> article, it is fully of misleading and dubious assertions.
> For example:
>
>  [snip]
>
> And so on. Every big problem is an opportunity to demagogue
> for personal political preferences that have nothing to do
> with the problem. (see also: climate change)

Agreed.  Even if one doesn't agree that it's demagoguery, it's all too often hyperbole.

Another example of this tendency is nearly everyone's habit of speaking in superlatives about even the most mundane.  My brother and I were commenting on this a couple of days ago after [sort of] watching a couple hours of TV including a news program and a couple of "interview" programs.  Both the interviewers and interviewees seemed to be in a contest to see who could out-hype the other when describing some truly trivial stuff.  You sort of expect it from fluff interview shows but it's annoying when it's supposed to be news reporting.

           ...ken...