[FoRK] Randy are we?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Aug 16 11:32:00 PDT 2012

Taking Rand literally is like taking the Bible literally: Shallow, destructive, and wrong.

Ayn Rand made some good points, although presented too simplistically in a lot of cases. That's probably what it took in her era to
get any point across. There are ways to reconcile what Ayn was getting at within the framework of a stable, functioning society. Too
many people have no concept of interconnectedness, dependency, and structure of a modern society. Teenagers and college kids seldom
realize what has and is still going into creating such a society. Perhaps spending 6 months in the desert and/or a third world
country trying to construct civilization would give better context. Unfortunately, we aren't given any concrete context to our
society, so we focus only on the immediate, apparent and explicit transactions we encounter. Perhaps if we were made more aware in a
quantifiable way of the investment made in us and the infrastructure that supports us, it wouldn't be so hard for people to connect
taxes and other participatory transactions to a fair exchange.

I've been much closer to the self-sufficient end of the spectrum in my life. I was essentially on my own from 13 and actually left
home for good at 15. I received virtually nothing from my parents, not even babysitting, as I raised children and created a career.
I had a little help here and there from unobligated parties, which helped and taught me a lot.

Yet it is easy for me to see how society should enable people rather than presenting a default hostile baseline. Of course you don't
want to just take from those who produce to distribute to others _with no strings or expectations_. However, it is the
responsibility of those who are successful to help others be successful. In a real sense, although the former don't owe the latter,
they do owe those who came before, directly and indirectly. Pay it forward or fail to pay your debt. It is not original sin that
people are saddled with, it is original debt, which can generally only be repaid by paying it forward. This is especially true as
investing in youth is a lot like investing in an early stage startup: A) small investments can become very valuable B) while not all
investment will pay off, overall good investments generally will pay off greatly.

Additionally it is in the enlightened self-interest of the successful to build up all of society. Shallow thinkers don't see either
of these, plus they often subscribe to the fixed pie model of the world. The pieists expect that helping the whole of society
increases competition for them and their progeny, putting them at a net disadvantage. That's clearly true for those who aren't
actually competitive but have benefited from one privilege or another by accidents of birth. To anyone truly competitive and
constructively active, it is not true at all.

Lack of effective investment in education and careers, including starter jobs and opportunities, is a huge drag on our society. Of
course we don't want to enshrine some artificial system of blessed jobs, fake career paths, and unwarranted salaries and benefits.
But it is not hard to see clear paths to inexpensive higher education, useful and effective job training and projects, and
coordinated convergence on a series of grand improvements to our commercial industries. We're seeing an interesting transformation
taking place in the space industry now, not to mention technology for self-driving cars. Those should be models for improved
solutions for many areas. Yet we dawdle and fret about how to invest less and waste more of our human capital. Of course we need to
reduce waste. Of course we need to terminate or curtail or full transform programs that are not working. Of course we need to make
major investments in areas not already functioning well in the commercial market.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/opinion/ayn-rand-wouldnt-approve-of-paul-ryan.html?src=me&ref=general

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/opinion/dowd-when-cruelty-is-cute.html?src=me&ref=general