[FoRK] FoRK Digest, Vol 107, Issue 15

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Fri Aug 17 14:08:58 PDT 2012

> There was little to distinguish the language in the [.ca] news
> program from the two American "interview" programs that preceded it.

Having distinctly noticed this when visiting the UK after the
relative peace of french/german swiss news, I'm guessing either it's
simply an anglophone habit, or that annoying "breathless" tone is
something I'm fortunately not yet culturally fluent enough to pick up
on.

-Dave

(apparently, back in those early misguided days before broadcasters
realized that news programs --in fact, all programs-- exist solely to
keep the audience tuned in between commercial spots, the BBC
newscaster would read the day's news and finish out the timeslot by
putting on a record; slow news days simply meant more music)