[FoRK] composites, additive mfg.

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Mon Aug 27 14:56:45 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Dave Long <dave.long at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>>> It would be cool if you could 3d print a series of channels into which
>>> you could draw or pump or deposit aligned fibers, maybe even by
>>> capillary action.
>

>> Vacuum bagging fiber cloth onto a machined part isn't hard, it is an easy
>> garage operation.  You have to get creative about trimming (I used a Dremel
>> with a cutoff wheel) or using precut patches, but otherwise it is easy.  Use
>> of a peel ply is key.
>

> In fact, all the applications of reinforcement that come quickly to my mind
> involve having the reinforcing material as a thin shell on the outside of
> the part (cf tubes, I-beams, etc.).  What did you have in mind as an
> application for interior channels?  Micro-trusses?

Take a look at the shape of the stadium bleacher produced by topology
optimisation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7do5-yMUpa0&feature=player_detailpage#t=55s

Its an "organic" shape with multiple roots and branches that join and
split - a non-simple topology.

The idea is that the channels would allow precise placement of fibers,
assuming they could be induced to flow into the channels.

The channels would be "interior", but could easily be on the
"exterior" of the "interior".

I guess I am picturing the 3d printed thing being a hollow structure
into which different materials and fibers are injected. Not quite a
mold, since the structure wouldnt be disposed of, but more of a
complex shell.