[FoRK] composites, additive mfg.

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Aug 27 17:06:54 PDT 2012

On 8/27/12 3:20 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> I think there's a point where optimization goes too far.  I have some
> experience with the manufacture of hollow airfoils, and this sounds
> like an incredibly finicky operation with the potential for all sorts
> of defects.  Remember, it's not the smallest defect you can detect,
> but the largest one you might miss...

In some models, yes.  But from a different process point of view, it could be perfect:
Prestressed concrete, stretched cables and rebar in concrete composites, etc. are all well known good solutions.
You could create a system that optimizes with allowance for creating channels for strung "cables" that can then be embedded in a
composite matrix.  Those hollow U channels could have a stretched tensile strength optimized cable, carbon fiber etc., strung into
them, then locked into place with epoxy or epoxy + chopped fibers, etc.