[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Aug 28 17:59:42 PDT 2012

I completely agree that people should get an ID.  Everyone should have
an ID.  But that doesn't change the fact that this change has been
pushed, and especially pushed through this year, by Republicans
specifically because they believe it will improve their chances by
disenfranchising people. Because that is the intent and predictable
effect, and the voter fraud excuse is essentially non-existent, it is an
illegal action.  If you want people to get IDs, then force people to get
IDs like they already have to get birth certificates and social security
cards.  Some years after you have saturated the population with ID
cards, then you can validly require a government issued ID for voting.

Apparently there are significant numbers of people for whom obtaining a
birth certificate, social security card, and then an ID after a trip to
the DMV is a hardship.  If that is the case, it is illegal to use that
for political advantage for voting unless significant effort has been
made to compensate.  On the contrary, many states have changed voting
times and availability in ways that seem to be calculated to further the
illegal effect.  It is not a valid loophole for discrimination.

Additionally, the state of DMVs in many states is very obnoxious.
California, despite some problems and cutbacks, is eons ahead of many
other states.

On a somewhat related subject, AOPA (private pilot's association) has
been pushing the FAA for years to make a pilot's license ("certificate",
hence I am certificated) a photo ID.  There is something odd about
resisting that.  It is a Federal ID, but not a photo ID.

Advice: I've had some pain at various points replacing lost birth
certificates, social security cards, etc. because the ex-wife or whoever
can't keep track of their paperwork.  My advice is always get multiple
copies of whatever you can, birth certificates at least.  Next time I
have to get my license renewed, I may ask for an ID also.  Oh, just did
that by mail in California.