[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Joseph S. Barrera III j3 at barrera.org
Tue Aug 28 20:36:01 PDT 2012

 > Apparently there are significant numbers of people for whom obtaining
a birth certificate, social security card, and then an ID after a trip
to the DMV is a hardship.

In particular, if you don't already have a driver's license, then you
probably don't drive... which makes getting to the DMV a big(ger) pain
in the ass.

I'm pulling this theory out of my ass with only personal anecdotes to
back it up, but it seems like the current generation of young folk are
much less inclined to get driver's licenses before college than previous
generations -- because they can interact with their friends on the
internet instead of having to DRIVE to their houses. Data points: my two
kids, and their friends. None of them have driver's licenses. If CA
required photo IDs (and note that in e.g. Texas, student IDs are NOT
allowed even though military IDs and even gun licenses are fine), then
my kids are screwed. Luckily (?) the electoral college ensures that
their CA votes are meaningless.

- Joe

P.S. Just saw this:
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/28/usa-texas-voter-id-idINL2E8JSFJM20120828

"Aug 28 (Reuters) - A U.S. federal court ruled on Tuesday that a
controversial Texas voter identification law discriminates against black
and Hispanic voters, effectively killing the law before it could take
effect for the Nov. 6 presidential election."