[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Aug 29 11:07:11 PDT 2012

> On 8/29/2012 9:56 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> Is there also a conspiracy by local government not to report this voter
>> fraud to the Federal government?
>
> No, it's been reported and prosecuted.  In fact, criminal charges and
> lawsuits are a good indication.
>

>> Recent stories have cited 86 or 26 verified cases of voter fraud,
>> nationally, in the last 6 or so years.  Were they all in Garden Grove?
>> If not, what's wrong with the local election board that has prevented
>> them from reporting these problems?  Where are links to proof that this
>> has happened?
>
> House report on congressional voter fraud in the 46th Congressional
> District.  House of Representatives found that 547 non-citizens had
> voted in the election.

Via google: +site:house.gov motor voter fraud California's 46th
congressional

The only reference to that number that I found was an initial report by
the OC DA based on an INS / voter registration comparison.  I.e., before
all the facts were in.  We just reviewed the outcome: Virtually no voter
fraud by voters.  I can't see how the statement you made quoting it is
correct at all.

http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/oversight/hhatrans041997.000/hhatrans041997.htm
> *TESTIMONY OF MICHAEL R. CAPIZZI
>
> *  Mr. *Capizzi. *Thank you, Chairman Ehlers, honorable members of the
> Contested Election Task Force.
>   My name is Mike Capizzi and I am the Orange County District Attorney.
> Based on records from the Immigration and Naturalization Service and
> the Orange County Registrar of Voters, our investigation has thus far
> determined that approximately 890 non-citizens registered to vote and
> approximately 547 of those persons voted after being registered
> through Hermandad.

> “An INS investigation in 1996 into alleged Motor Voter fraud in
> California’s 46th  Congressional District revealed that “4,023 illegal
> voters possibly cast ballots in the disputed election..."
>
> I don't have time to go find all the links, but google.com
> +site:house.gov is the starting point.

That number doesn't seem to be in any of the official proceedings. It is
quoted widely as another apparent initial database correlation result:

http://soundpolitics.com/archives/003321.html
http://letters.ocregister.com/2012/01/22/voter-fraud-is-real-and-must-be-stopped/
http://gunowners.org/a071106.htm
http://joshuapundit.blogspot.com/2012/03/ag-holder-and-doj-strike-blow-to-help.html
> [...]
> might remember that one,because it involved a number of voters
> claiming the address of the State Democrat party headquarters in
> Seattle their 'residence'. A similar tactic seems to have been used in
> this recent case in Wisconsin.
> <http://biggovernment.com/mtrackers/2011/11/22/outspoken-wisconsin-dem-senator-accessory-to-voter-fraud/>
>
> There are numerous other incidents I could cite. For instance, you
> could spend hours just reading about President Obama's old friends at
> ACORN <http://pjmedia.com/blog/the-complete-guide-to-acorn-voter-fraud/>.
>
> The core of the problem stems from a really bad piece of legislation,
> passed,of course by a Democrat-dominated Congress. President Clinton's
> National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (NVRA) known as the
> Motor-Voter law makes voter registration virtually automatic when you
> apply for a driver's license and called for distributing registration
> applications in state welfare offices. Under this law, the information
> supplied by the applicant for a license doubles as information for
> voter registration unless the applicant indicates that he/she doesn't
> want to be registered. It also has restrictions that prevent states
> from culling the rolls in a timely manner to eliminate dead people and
> people whom may no longer be residents in the area or whom have lost
> their voting rights due to felony convictions.
>
> With several states now issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens, the
> voter registration rolls have become contaminated with a number of
> people who are not legally entitled to vote. There was a move in
> Congress to change the law to not include voter registration for
> non-citizens in 1998. It was narrowly defeated
> <http://www.fairus.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16957&security=1601&news_iv_ctrl=1010#_edn11>,
> with nearly every Democrat in Congress voting against, so let there be
> no mistake that to Democrats, illegal aliens are a constituency.
>
> It's also worth mentioning that for illegal aliens, a voter
> registration card is one of the proofs of citizenship legally allowed
> to be used to help establish identity for the purposes of 'legal'
> employment. That and a social security card are all you need.

>> As long as the effect of actual voter fraud is less than the effects of
>> disenfrancisation by any supposed remedy, and especially when it is far
>> less, such remedies are wrong and generally illegal.
>
> I don't necessarily disagree with that, but people generally hope that
> elections are fair.   If election counting is going to go into the
> legal realm then all sides should be able to prove they are legally
> abiding by current laws.
>
> I did find something really interesting.  A map of state felony
> disfranchisement laws.
>
> http://www.aclu.org/map-state-felony-disfranchisement-laws
>
> I don't think felons should be allowed to vote.  I think you lose that
> right.  Especially with a violent crime.

I'm ambivalent on that subject.  Certainly there are some who should
lose that right, although hopefully few enough that it doesn't matter
much.  There are a lot more where it's hard to see that it makes sense
to lose the right for the rest of your life.  A lot of less than
horrible things are felonies.  I'd perhaps favor a proportional
ineligibility period.

>> Here's what I found in 2 minutes:
>> Essentially, practically no voter fraud up through 1996:
>> http://articles.latimes.com/1996-10-31/local/me-59552_1_voter-fraud
>
> I read that article too.  "Wide" voter fraud.  I think that aligns
> with the data, the actual numbers are really small.
>
> I like this article below[1]: their bottom line supports joe's
> assessment that it's a very, very small percentage (despite the
> abundance of news stories[2]).  However, the last election cycle there
> was a very high profile case of voter fraud and in 2007 Democrats were
> screaming for voter eligibility enforcement (contradicting joe's
> assessment).

The problem should be reduced, but it has to be done with the right
process.  And subject to the same cost / benefit analysis of everything
else.