[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:13:56 PDT 2012

My mom didn't have a driver's license or passport for the last ten
years of her life. She didn't drive or travel, and going to the DMV
was beyond her ability.

When she moved out of home, right at the end of her life, she had to
get on a plane, and that required a government ID that would also have
qualified her to vote. To make it happen I flew from California to
Maryland to take her to the DMV for a non-drivers license, rented a
van and wheelchair, went to her house, escorted her to the desk at the
DMV, brought her home again.

With voter ID requirements that's what it would have taken for her to
be able to vote.

Before retirement she worked as an aide to a couple members of
Congress, and her vote was well reasoned to an extreme.