[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Wed Aug 29 13:19:26 PDT 2012

I'm with Marty on this.

Just to add (and not intrude on past threads about voting and
eligibility and martinwills).

So what I hear from this argument is Heinleinism of the right is no
better than Eugenics of the left.

Gawd, I'm just so under-informed.

I'm going to say it again.  I don't believe in politics, I believe in data.

Greg

Robert A. Heinlein
“The America of my time line is a laboratory example of what can happen
to democracies, what has eventually happened to all perfect democracies
throughout all histories. A perfect democracy, a ‘warm body’ democracy
in which every adult may vote and all votes count equally, has no
internal feedback for self-correction. It depends solely on the wisdom
and self-restraint of citizens… which is opposed by the folly and lack
of self-restraint of other citizens. What is supposed to happen in a
democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public
interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that
he votes his own self-interest as he sees it… which for the majority
translates as ‘Bread and Circuses.’

‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for
which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But
once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or
parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when
the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses
without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot
stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its
weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter
Rome.”