[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Wed Aug 29 14:36:40 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the place where Democrats and Republicans differ on this is
> not the principle of whether vote fraud is acceptable. The questions
> are about the optimal balance of false positives and false negatives,
> and I believe that's where your comments here are going.

This is wrong. There are no high ethical principles involved at all,
no balance seeking, nothing. Its pure realpolitik.

What's involved is a strategy to cause large numbers of people,
primarily democratic voters, not to vote.

The strategy is multi-layered, putting up difficulties to get IDs,
imposing onerous legal requirements on voter turnout groups, or simply
destroying them using dirty tricks (e.g. ACORN), disparaging
"community organisers", etc etc.

This is a pure realpolitik, mean spirited, and well funded and
coordinated, attack on democracy, in order to benefit a party that is
losing its demographic and ideological base.

To the GOP mind, Voter Fraud isnt so much someone who voted illegally,
but rather, Voter Fraud is when someone who might vote Democratic is
helped to do so. ACORN, in the GOP mind, was a Voter Fraud
organisation, because it was working to achieve higher voter turnout.
In the GOP mind, this is the fraud they are talking about. I read
recently of one Republican talking about strategies to counter "the
numerical superiority" of their opposition.  The thing is, in a
democracy, countering the numerical superiority of your opposition is
tantamount to treason.

Just look at the all-white audience at the RNC, yelling "get out"
"usa" to drown out the republican representative from Puerto Rico.
This is a party that has completely lost its way, and is well on the
way to irrelevance.