[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Thu Aug 30 09:12:31 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at jarbox.org> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:42 AM, Damien Morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com> wrote:
>> If Voter ID is reasonable, surely Spender ID is also reasonable, in
>> which people spending money for political purposes need to prove their
>> own citizenship, but also need to prove that the money they are
>> spending does not include money from foreign sources.
>
> Define "money from foreign sources".

Money controlled by non-citizens which becomes mingled with money
controlled by citizens and then spent on  political speech.

>> This would of course rule out donations from most multinational
>> corporations, and of course from the chamber of commerce.
>

> I do not follow how this would rule out donations from most multinationals or the chamber of commerce in any consistent application.

In the case of the Chamber of Commerce, it solicits money from foreign
citizens, and though it may ostensibly firewall the funds from the
pool it uses to pay for political speech, money is fungible, and any
such firewalling is illusory. The influence of the money isnt
firewalled.