[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Aug 30 12:48:16 PDT 2012

Any bus-only solution is not competitive with any solution that involves
options of {car,bike,Segway} for the last block/mile (or several miles
probably for the bulk of LA sources and destinations).

In NYC, even though you have super density, the subway is so slow that
except for more than a few miles, I'd generally rather walk. I would
certainly rather ride a bike if I had a way to store it.

In Silicon Valley, VTA's Light Rail seems nice, but takes an hour to go
15 miles, plus walk time (0 on one end and 1 mile on the other for me).
That 15 miles takes about 15 minutes with no traffic, even including a
good percentage of city streets.  It takes about 25-50 minutes with
typical rush hour traffic.  Taking a series of buses would be worse.  I
suspect the bus situation between two random points in LA is likely worse.

I can take Caltrain which is reasonably fast, but I have 1.1 miles on my
end and 1 mile on the other.  Fine with a bike, except for the sometimes
not frequent enough runs.  I'm on the edge of just biking the whole way
since I have a shower at work, and I otherwise have spotty time to work out.

Anyway, the diffuse bus solution is not competitive.  You need constant
directed speed between an endpoint and a major terminal. A meandering
bus with too many stops and too long to get on/off doesn't cut it.  That
should be less than 3 miles via car, bike, skate, segway, or walk/run.
Between terminals, you need uninterrupted maximum ground speed.  That
solution provides speeds competitive with driving the route off peak
while allowing for potentially better volume.

Certainly, eventually we will want to go down to one or two person
self-driving local modules.  For bulk transport, the bus / train
equivalent of a wide-body jet is good if the ingress / egress time is
minimized or pipelined.  My point was to have a varied fleet so that you
don't make people wait to look to fill a bus yet you run pretty much 24
hours.

sdw